Spotlight Terms & Conditions
Updated March 2020
Spotlight is a service operated by Folkestone and Hythe Council ("we"/"us"), of Civic Centre, Castle Hill Ave, Folkestone, Kent CT20 2QY.
If you use Spotlight you agree to our following terms and conditions of use.
We may revise our terms and conditions at any time without notice. We will make reasonable efforts to notify you of any changes but it is up to you to regularly check the terms and conditions to make sure that you are still able to comply with them.
However, we cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of reliance on material contained on or accessed via these pages and we cannot guarantee that links to external sites will always be available. Users should note that material from external providers may express views that are not necessarily attributable to us. Inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement or approval by us of the linked website, its operator or its content, we are also not responsible for the content of any website or web page outside of Spotlight.
If you do not agree with our terms and conditions you must not use Spotlight.
Breaching the terms and conditions may result in your access to Spotlight and your listing being withdrawn without notice.
You may use Spotlight without registering to:
- search for and make use of community information
To make full use of Spotlight you must list your activity or service with Spotlight using the on – line form.
You agree to use Spotlight only for lawful purposes, and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit anyone else's use and enjoyment of Spotlight.
Such restriction or inhibition includes behaviour:
- which is unlawful
- that may harass or cause distress or inconvenience to others
- that may disrupt the normal flow of dialogue within this site.
You must not post on your website, if linked to Spotlight anything that:
- is unlawful, defamatory, obscene, offensive or scandalous
- constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, likely to give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violates any law.
We will fully co-operate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity of anyone posting any such information or materials.
All materials on Spotlight are copyright unless indicated otherwise. If you wish to use any material from Spotlight you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Getting Listed with Spotlight
When you apply to be listed with Spotlight you agree to:
- provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself
- update the information about yourself if it changes
If you provide any information that is not true or not accurate, we may suspend or terminate your use of Spotlight.
You must be at least 18 years old to apply to be listed with Spotlight
Eligibility criteria for using Spotlight
The main criteria is that you primarily exist to provide a service to the community rather than make a profit. In addition:
- Your group or activity must be based in or serving the people of Folkestone & Hythe District. Local branches of national organisation can be listed but a national group witht no specific local activity will not be allowed.
- Your group or activity should be operated on a not-for-profit basis. It may charge a fee to cover costs, including staff costs in some cases, but should not pay shareholders or directors. Community interest companies will usually be eligible.
- Your group or activity should be inclusive and not discriminate against anyone on the basis of gender, sexuality, religious or political beliefs, ethnic origin or any other characteristic.
- All listings must have an email address which will be published on the website. We will use this email to contact you every six months to ask you to confirm the listing is still up to date and accurate and, if no response, will send one further reminder. If you do not respond, the listing will be automatically deleted.
- Decisions as to whether a group or activity meets the criteria will be made by Spotlight administrators. You will be notified either way.
- Folkestone & Hythe District Council reserves the right to remove any listing without giving notice, for any reason, at any time.
If your application is accepted, you agree to:
- keep the listing and the information on your own website (if your listing includes a link) updated so that it is true, accurate, current and complete.
- review and update the content of your listing and, if appropriate, your website, at least once every six months. If you are no longer able to maintain your website, you must make arrangements to either transfer the responsibility to someone else in your organisation, remove the link from your Spotlight listing or wind down your site.
- Spotlight listings that are not reviewed and updated at least every six months will be automatically deleted.
- notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your listing be deleted if you no longer want it.
- not use your website, if linked to Spotlight, for commercial business purposes.
While we strive to keep the information that you supply secure, please be aware that the Internet is not a fully secure medium.
Any communication or information transmitted by you as a user with general public access and/or anonymous access to Spotlight by electronic mail or otherwise will be treated as non-proprietary and non-confidential and may be used by us for any purpose.
The Spotlight web server may automatically recognise the domain name and e-mail address of users of our websites. We may collect the domain name and e-mail address of visitors to Spotlight.
Personal information collected from visitors to Spotlight may be used:
- for internal review
- to improve the content of Spotlight
- to customise the content and/or layout of Spotlight for each individual user
- to notify users about updates to Spotlight
- by Spotlight to contact users for marketing purposes and is not shared with other organisations for commercial purposes.
Privacy and Your Data
Who we are and what we do:
Community Spotlight is a service run by the Council to help connect people across Folkestone, Hythe, Romney Marsh and the Kent Downs with hundreds of activities and services that are available locally.
It is an online directory where people can search for groups, activities, hobbies and classes that they are interested in. Spotlight is free and easy for communities to use and provides a platform for even the smallest organisations to reach the thousands of people in our district.
What information do we hold and use?
Community Spotlight publishes data about local community groups and activities – very little of this information will relate to personal data.
Contact details for groups or group organisers are provided to help the public make contact with the groups. It is required to provide an email address, and optional to provide a phone number when registering a group.
These details may constitute the personal data of the organiser or spokesperson. No personal data about the service’s users are gathered.
How do we obtain your personal information?
Details are submitted to Community Spotlight by groups and organisations that want to be listed.
Some information may be obtained directly from public domain sources, for example where a group is already publicly advertising itself.
What do we use this information for?
The only personal data processed by Community Spotlight relates to email addresses or phone numbers provided by group organisers or spokespeople.
This information is listed to allow members of the public to contact groups that they are interested in.
These details are also used by Community Spotlight to send verification emails every 180 days, asking groups to confirm that their details are still accurate.
On what basis do we use your data?
Most of the personal data processed by Community Spotlight is provided by the data subject themselves. Due to this, we will always seek to obtain your consent by presenting you with an opt-in checkbox explaining how your data will be used.
Community Spotlight will send verification emails every 180 days asking you to confirm that the details about your group are still accurate. We will also use this as an opportunity to confirm that you are still happy for this processing to continue.
You are free to withdraw your consent at any time, and ask for a listing or contact details to be removed.
The easiest way to do this is to send an email to email@example.com or the Council’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
How long do we store your data?
Community Spotlight will host the information about your group or organisation for as long as you confirm that the listings are still accurate.
A verification email checking this is sent every 180 days. If no response is received to this email, a reminder will be issued 28 days later. If no response is received to the reminder email, the listing will be automatically removed a week later.
If you no longer require your activity or service to be listed, you may request that it is removed from Spotlight by contacting email@example.com. Removed listings are inaccessible to the public but are still stored on our servers for a period before being deleted.
Your authorisation to use Spotlight automatically terminates without notice if, at our sole discretion, you fail to comply with any of the terms and conditions. On termination, you must cease all use of Spotlight and destroy all and any materials copied directly or indirectly from Spotlight. This does not limit our right to terminate at any time for any reason whatsoever.
The information that is listed here, including the description, is correct as far as can be reasonably established at the time it was submitted but the council take no responsibility for its accuracy.
Without limiting any other provision in these terms and conditions, the information, products and services available on Spotlight are provided 'as is', without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied.
We do not guarantee that Spotlight will be provided and it may be modified, suspended or terminated at any time without notice for any reason whatsoever. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that you may suffer as a consequence of such modification, suspension or termination.
We do not guarantee that Spotlight and the material contained in it will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that Spotlight or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or represent the full functionality, accuracy or reliability of the materials.
Spotlight provides links to websites maintained by other organisations as part of our service but we do not accept liability for their accuracy or content nor do we endorse any externally linked sites.
We assume no responsibility or liability arising from the content nor for any error, omission, infringement, defamation, obscenity, or inaccuracy contained in any information within or linked to Spotlight
Under no circumstances and without limitation, will we be liable for any loss or damage, whether indirect or consequential, however arising in connection with the use of Spotlight
These terms and conditions are governed and construed in accordance with English law. If any provision of the foregoing is held to be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions.